Thursday, January 15, 2009


Meme is doing a good job filling in for Grandpa while he is in Houston taking care of Liam. Caroline has been in the hospital since Jan. 1st. Right after Liam was born she started having trouble with her colon, actually she was having trouble even before he was born. I think the doctors were wanting to use her pregnancy as an excuse. Postpartum she started bleeding and had some hemorrhoids. One doctor quickly and probably unnecessarily performed surgery on her to remove the hemorrhoids. Apparently from what I have heard this should be a last resort because of the extreme pain and increased risk of infection. Whether Caroline had colitis before the surgery or the surgery caused it we don't know but after the surgery she wasn't getting any better. She would go back to the doctor telling the doctor how bad she was still bleeding and how bad she was hurting. They kept telling her that it was going to take time. Finally Caroline insisted on having a colonoscopy even though the doctor didn't want to do it because they claimed the hemorrhoid surgery hadent healed enough. They found through the colonoscopy that she had a very severe case of colitis. They put her on steroids. After a week or so of being on steroids she wasn't getting any better. Brent took her to the ER on Jan. 1st were she was admitted for severe anemia. No kidding she had been bleeding for 4 months. This was the first time they did blood work. They ended up having to put a central line in because her veins had deteriorated so much. She had 3 blood transfusions and is on IV steroids. She is doing better know and will hopefully be released tomorrow. During all of this my Dad had to go to Houston to take care of Liam because my brother had spent three months off and used all of his time off. Brent works offshore on oil rigs for a week at a time. If my dad could get some kind of grandpa of the year award he is definitely deserving. He has been taking care of Liam 24/7 since the week before Christmas. Maybe I should write into Ellen. Its amazing what a person can do when they are thrown into a situation and have no other choice but to make it work. My Mom was a stay at home mom so she took care of us for the most part. So my Dad who loves kids wasn't necessarily an expert at taking care of a baby full time. As I told Jon when we had Ketron. Just because I am the Mom doesnt mean that I automatically know how to handle caring for Ketron's every need. I told him that we could learn together. That's something nice about my generation with both parents working full time. The mom and dad both get in there and are sharing duties equally so that there is no excuses if something were to come up.

Kaycee with her ears perked up and salivating waiting patiently for me to fill up her treat ball. The treat ball is the best thing Kaycee has ever gotten. Its a green rubbery ball that has a hole at each end. I fill it up with small dog bones and she rolls it around the house working the treats out. Sometimes I will notice her sitting in front of the basket that has her toys in it starring waiting for me to get it out.

Kissable cheeks. When I was pregnant Jon and I would lay in bed at night wondering what Ketron was going to look like, what he was going to get from Jon or I. The one sure thing we talked about was his eyes being brown. That's why I don't gamble.
Amber a girl I work with said when she saw this picture "That's Connie and a miniature Don."

This is the reaction I get when I act like a gorilla.

No comments: